Friday, March 11, 2011

a longish ride

connect.garmin.com/activity/72387769

i actually set an alarm clock so i wouldn't miss my chance to ride today. really! it's true! so at 4:45, the beep, beep, beep woke me up and got me going. i got dressed slowly and messed around on dailymile for a little while and then hit the road at around 5:20. i had just over two hours before i had to cover for a friend on ems.

since a SSE wind was blowing, i decided to take a completely different route than my usual east or westbound track. i rode up to the highway, pedaled over to main street and then headed south through town and out into the country.

as i passed the city limits of argonia, i set my mind on accomplishing one thing: riding fast enough on the way out that i'd have time to cover 30 or more miles. my largest mileage day thus far in 2011 was the 30.18 miles i did a week ago and it was done in two separate workouts. that's just not acceptable!

the ride through the dark was pretty enjoyable. it was a brisk 35F out, so my double tights and multiple layers up top were put to good use. my toes got a bit chilled, but there wasn't any pain, so it's all good. i wore my headlamp today so i could occasionally check my speed or mileage or the time. my black thermal gloves just aren't reflective enough to reflect light back from my bike headlight over my cyclocomputer and it's a pain to lean forward to put my garmin in front of it. the headlamp works like a charm.

when i reached highway 44, i turned east and picked up some speed. not a lot, but enough that you'd notice it. then the hills began. rolling hills! up and down, up and down for miles. this stretch of road is among my favorites. i just wish it was closer to argonia, so i'd have time to ride it more often. when i only have an hour, i get to it right about the time i need to turn around. glad i had time today.

as i headed east along highway 44, the sun's light started painting the horizon orange and yellow. the night turned from black to dark blue. you should've seen it. it was a truly beautiful sight. there's nothing like the wide kansas sunrises and sunsets.

i hit my turn around point just before mr. sun actually peeked over the horizon, so the glare of his fiery face didn't blind me as i rode back for home. i peeked over my shoulder once in awhile. the brush strokes and hues God chose this morning were perfect. wow!

i rode back to argonia road and headed north again. the wind at my back helped me up and over the incline that rises from highway 44 and i was soon back in argonia. i rode up to the highway and then back home, finishing my 31.14 miles in just over two hours. not fast miles, but enjoyable ones. only seven cars passed me, three on the way out and four on the way back, giving me lots of thinking and praying time. i'm thankful. (31.14 miles @ 15.2mph)

No comments: