Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rescued from darkness...

I awoke slowly in the middle of the night. The air around me was warm, almost oppressive. The darkness was like nothing I'd ever experienced before. Not a pinpoint of light reached my widening eyes.

I tried to sit up and get my bearings. I couldn't move. My blankets were over my head. I pushed up in an attempt to get out from under their fuzzy protection. They would not budge. I pushed harder, but made no progress. I tried again. No give. I panicked. I screamed. That's what second graders do when they can’t escape their covers.

Then the most horrifying thing happened. A hand grabbed my ankle! I jerked away from it and yelled louder! The hand wrapped itself around my leg and pulled. Sheer terror filled my heart and then I heard my dad’s voice.

"I'm trying to get you out!" he shouted. "You're at the foot end of your bed."

I relaxed and my dad rescued me. He calmed me down and then left the room. I laid my head on my pillow and fell peacefully back to sleep.

I tell that story today because I'm pretty sure you've been in similar situations. Afraid, almost panicky, because you can't meet a deadline. Not sure what's going on in a souring relationship. Sure there's no way out of a dead end job. Wanting someone to rescue you from your own stupidity. Convinced no one hears your desperate cries for help.

The woman caught in adultery, drug before Jesus and threatened with death could relate. Zacchaeus, hated by his neighbors for his cheating ways, knew the loneliness. Peter, regretting his triple denial of Jesus, believed he was useless to his risen master.

We know the end of each of these stories, but don't forget none of them knew what was going to happen while their life was at its worst. The wanton woman didn't know she'd find mercy. The wealthy cheater was surprised Jesus stopped. The wandering disciple had no idea pardon would be offered. They struggled just as you have and I have. Then they found joy. Jesus met each of them where they were, broken and lonely, and gave them what they needed most. The woman's life was spared. The tax collector's life was changed. The disciple's relationship with Jesus was restored.

You've been rescued, too, haven't you? God grabbed a hold of your leg and pulled you out of the darkness. He saved you from sin and healed your heart. He gave you peace in the middle of the storm. He provided for you when you had nothing. He lifted your spirits and restored your joy.

"I will exalt you, O LORD," David said, "for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me. O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. O LORD, you brought me up from the grave; you spared me from going down into the pit. Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name. For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning." (Psalm 30:1-5, NIV )

Rejoicing comes in the morning! Aren't you glad? Whatever darkness you face in life, morning will break out in your soul! You've seen it before. You'll see it again. No matter your situation, God will redeem it.

To receive my once or twice weekly message via email, send a blank email to
webmessage-subscribe@associate.com. Past messages are available at freegroups.net/groups/webmessage.

No comments: