Saturday, August 28, 2010

1.00 mile in 7'45"

just after i'd finished my 5K, i wasn't so sure about turning around and running another mile. but as i waited for the rest of the field to finish, my legs started warming up to the idea. couldn't be that bad.

so about 20 minutes after the conclusion of my first 5K effort, i once again shot off the starting line. the first quarter mile or so was pretty enjoyable. bryan j and i talked some. one of the other guys in my age group, a fellow argonian named todd, was just ahead of me. life was good.

then bryan and todd took off. i just maintained my pace and passed a few more people. a short time later was when i saw the beautiful downhill. it looked a lot bigger than the elevation graph shows on the route. it was wonderful running down it until i realized i had to run back up it on the way home.

sure enough, right after the turn around i found myself grinding it out up that stupid incline. i ran beside a high school kid and talked with him a bit.

when i reached the top of the hill and could see the finish line again, i glance over my shoulder and saw a few of the south haven high school football players gaining on me. i picked up my pace. a few of them still passed me, but i made them work a bit harder to do it.

a minute or two or three later it was all over. i'd finished the 1-mile course in a personal best 7'45". that, it turned out, was good enough for third in my age group. ('m not mentioning how many men were in my age group.)

i was pleased with my effort and my result. can't wait for another race to come along.

No comments: