Friday, August 6, 2010

flying over the bumps

15 to 20 more minutes! if i'd had 15 to 20 more minutes, i could have ridden another five miles and put myself over 5000 miles for only the second time in my life. alas, i ran out of time. i shall have to grab those five miles some other time.

this morning's ride was a great one. i felt good from the time i started until the time i finished. somewhere along the way, i remembered what coach troy (or was it tony?) said about cresting hills and i put it into practice. i pushed over the top and only recovered on the way down. made a world of difference on my speed.

the first half of my ride took around 52 minutes. it was mostly uphill into a headwind. ugly stuff. i had forgotten how much elevation gain there is between the intersection of u.s. 160 and kansas 49. there's not a break in the upward slant for six miles!

the second half was up and down with a tailwind. i flew over the bumps. it was awesome! my legs seemed to get stronger with every mile. even as my mind tried to register "i'm tired" my legs kept churning away. i finished the second half in about 46 minutes. (i think i did my math right.) wish you could've been there with me when i crossed the finish line, a.k.a. my driveway. (30.65 miles @ 18.7mph)

No comments: