Monday, August 2, 2010

no umph

i woke up this morning without an ounce of umph in me. i looked at the clock...5:00. i rolled over and went back to sleep. the next thing i knew it was 6:00. i almost stayed in bed, but i knew i'd hate myself later if i did, so i put my feet on the floor and stumbled to the bathroom to dress.

i got on my bike around 6:15 and half-heartedly pushed the pedals around and around and around. slowly the beating of my heart and the rhythmic expanding and contracting of my lungs brought life to my mind. that's when i remembered bernard's time trial challenge. i should've shoved the thought from my head, but i didn't. instead i let it fester until it was a full blown idea. i decided i could give it a shot.

so at 4.1 miles out of town, my warm up done, i turned around, stopped and prepared to launch myself. that's where this narrative leaves off. you'll have to read my separate post to see how the time trial went. all you'll get from me right now is that the 10.58 miles i rode to cool down after the race against the clock were not fast. what little umph i had was gone. my only joy was the slight tailwind that pushed me over the final seven miles of cool down. (14.68 miles @ 16.9mph)

No comments: