Saturday, August 7, 2010

the rest of the ride

after completing my 20-mile time trial, i let up on the pedals and cruised into cheney where i took a break at kabredlo's. the bank thermometer read 96. i went in and picked out a 32 oz gatorade and a 20 oz pepsi. i walked to the check out and prepared to pay. the clerk looked at me and said, "that pepsi isn't going to do you much good on a bike." i've heard such things from convenience store clerks before. usually i ignore them, but today...

i'm embarassed to say it, but i snapped back. i looked her in the eye and said, "i've been riding for years, ma'am. i think i know exactly what i need right now." wow!

i left the store and rested outside while i consumed my unneeded pepsi. it was delicious. i emptied the gatorade into my polar bottle and finished off the rest of it. then i went in and filled my gatorade bottle with water which i proceeded to dump over my head and body. it was cold and it felt good.

my body heat back under control, i headed out again. i rode north of cheney and turned west on old 54. i love this road. it's the same road i challenged when eric wimped out on me a few months ago. it was cool and rainy then. it was sunny and HOT today. i took a drink every mile so i wouldn't bonk.

i made it all the way and turned south into kingman. i'd been debating with myself for the last few miles. should i ride the extra three miles to hit 50 or just quit. until i hit the city limits, i couldn't decide. when i got there, i opted to go for it. i rode all the way through town and then turned around and headed back east with the wind at my back. it was an awesome cool down.
i had to go to the end of my sister's block and turn around to get the mileage right. a neighbor kid looked at me as i rode past. "nice bike," he yelled. "thanks!" i said.

having made my u-turn, i hit 50.00 miles exactly just after turning in to the driveway. i put the bike in the garage and went in to say hi and then take a cool shower.

No comments: