Saturday, August 21, 2010

6.20 miles in 1:02'40"

i actually did it. i ran 10K...and it was painful. well, not all of it was. the first part was great. i ran for twenty-one minutes at a decent (for me) pace. i ran down wichita to warren, over to waco, down to lincoln, over the bridge and up the bike path to exploration place before i stopped to walk the first time. i felt pretty good at that point, but thought i needed a break.

i walked past exploration place and then started running again. that's when the pain began. my heart felt like it was going to pop out of my chest, my lungs were burning and after some time, my left ankle started hurting a bit on the inside. the rest of the way i ran some, walked some just trying to survive.

there were moments of good running, where i felt what i hope to feel for my entire 10K in october. a couple of skinny kids passed me just after cow town and i picked up my pace a bit to match theirs. then there was the section just after exploration place that felt okay. the final push back to our hotel wasn't all that bad. i made it to the front door without stopping.

i walked around the circle drive, down to the street and back to the front door trying to cool down. my shirt was wet! i walked in the door and one of the workers took one look at me and said, "let me get you some water." she disappeared around the corner and was back in a flash with a little bottle of the best tasting water i'd ever tasted. may God bless her for her kindness.

i'm done now. cleaned up and rested a bit, but i am sore. my quads and glutes feel awful. hope they survive another day of shopping. my wife has plans.

No comments: