Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Knowing Jesus...

I’m reading the Journal of George Fox. I mean really reading it. I skimmed parts of it in my Quaker History and Doctrines class in college. It was required reading. I had to read it, so I did. I’m reading it now because I want to hear the heart of the man who changed England and founded the Religious Society of Friends. He wouldn’t call it a church. That word was reserved for the universal body of believers in Jesus, not a local gathering of followers.

I haven’t gotten very far yet. I’ve read the Introduction, extracts from William Penn’s original preface to the book, the editor’s preface and the entire first section which mostly covers Fox’s childhood and early adult experience.

As I’ve read, several things have challenged me and stretched my faith. One particular passage I think might be of help to you.

Fox writes, “My desires after the Lord grew stronger, and zeal in the pure knowledge of God and of Christ alone, without the help of any man, book, or writing. For though I read the Scriptures that spoke of Christ and of God, yet I knew him not but by revelation, as he who hath the key did open, and as the Father of life drew me to his Son by his spirit.” (©1985 London Yearly Meeting, Journal of George Fox, editor John L. Nickalls, p. 11)

Oh, the questions this passage raised in my mind. Do I know Christ or just about him? Have I spent time with Jesus or just read the Bible?

Reading the Bible is important. It helps us understand God’s heart of love. It shows us the way to live. But reading is not enough. We must experience the love of God. We must possess the power of his Life within us or we are sunk. It is only by his power that we can live a holy and godly life.

May you and I live in that power today and always!

To receive my once or twice weekly message via email, send a blank email to
webmessage-subscribe@associate.com. Past messages are available at freegroups.net/groups/webmessage.

No comments: