Saturday, August 28, 2010

home from the 5K

my facebook status says it all: "mike thinks riding 50+ miles after competing in a 5K and a 1-mile fun run was probably not the best idea he's ever had." it got hot on the way home from south haven. 85 degrees. that's what the bank said in caldwell.

like a fool, after riding 18 miles with the wind at my back, i thought i'd add a few miles so i could have three 50+ rides in one week. a first i think. so i rode east toward wellington and turned around at drury road.

that's when it got ugly. the wicked south wind did not help me much on my westward journey toward home. i dropped tenths of miles per hour all along the way. 19.1mph, 19.0mph, 18.9mph, 18.8mph, 18.7mph and in the last mile before home the final drop, 18.6mph. grrrr! my legs just didn't have anything left. i couldn't push at all. i pulled into the garage, unclipped and walked to the ramp leading inside. there i lay down and died. well, i wasn't quite dead, but i felt pretty ill. i waited for five minutes or so then rose from my grave and went inside. not sure i'll ride home from a foot race again. (51.43 miles @ 18.6mph)

No comments: