Thursday, August 19, 2010

big gear torture

since i wouldn't be on my bike for three days after this morning's ride, i decided to torture myself and push a big gear hard after a two or three mile warm up. the whole way out, with the wind in my face, i felt great. i pedaled along with big daddy weave blaring from my new zen mosaic. i powered up the few inclines i faced and raced down them. my legs ate up the flats like they were pancakes in liberal, kansas, or olney, england, on international pancake day. (see www.pancakeday.net for more on this obscure allusion.)

the return trip was not as enjoyable. the first miles after i turned around were awful. as i climbed forever hill (just named the hill this week), my body just would not respond to commands from my brain. i tried to push but could not do it. i was in agony. my speed dropped precipitously.

after cresting at the summit of forever hill, i tapped out a mile or two to the sounds of casting crowns and tenth avenue north. i finally felt better when i hit the ten miles to go point, but still not as great as i felt on the way out. my concentration would wane and i'd drop down into the the 16-17mph range and have to whip it back up.

i did end up gaining a little on my overall speed by ride's end. at the turn around i'd been at 18.6mph. for a bit i got up over 19.0mph on the way back, but ended at 18.9mph. that's according to my cateye. i may take what it shows here: 18.98mph. close enough to call it 19.0mph.

see ya on monday. (30.36 miles @ 19.0mph)

No comments: