Wednesday, August 4, 2010

i made me do it

not sure what i was thinking when i decided to try a 20-mile time trial less than 12 hours after my first real running workout in 26 years. there must be a short circuit somewhere inside my skull...or maybe it's those evil shoes. hmmmm.

i rode to harper for my warm up. 16.25 miles in 1:00'10". i rode a long warm up because i wanted to avoid any stupid uphill finishes or nasty hills in the middle of my effort. i wanted a course that was as flat as flat can be.

my warm up done, i clipped my right foot in and pushed my crank forward. i pedaled a couple strokes, then fumbled with my left cleat. i couldn't get it to "click" for me. i probably lost 5 seconds there. grrr.

after my less than stellar start, i was able to pick up speed and ride hard for several miles and then i started "bleeding" tenths. i was a bit sore from running last night, but i'm not sure that hurt my time very much. it was kind of crazy to time trial only two days after my first attempt at bernard's evil challenge.

i spent the second half of my ride mad at that stupid computer that told me repeatedly, "you're losing ground. you're slowing down."

"SHUT UP, COMPUTER!!"

well, i made it. my 20-mile time was 1:00'05". after that, i cooled down for 1.25 miles. took me 4'45". i'm tired. i hope i can improve my time later. until then, i'm ready to rest. (37.50 miles @ 18mph)

No comments: