Tuesday, August 31, 2010

1.80 miles in 14'49"

i was supposed to be biking this morning, not running. i got up at 6:00, put on my bike shorts and jersey, pulled on my socks and cycling shoes, strapped on my roadID, slipped my hands into my gloves and put my helmet on.

dressed and ready, i threw my leg over my bike and rode north on pine street. i turned onto the highway and my bike started thumping, so i stopped. there was a huge bulge in the front tire. experience told me to turn around NOW!

i rode cautiously back home, pulled into the garage, pulled the wheel off, brought it inside to photograph it and BAM! it blew. i'm very glad it didn't happen while i was on the road. if i'd been at speed or cornering, it could've been rather painful for me and my bike.

since i couldn't ride right away and i had limited time before breakfast, i decided to make the best of it - or if you ask jeff l, the worst of it - and run. i had about a half hour to spare before breakfast. i could have run that entire time, but i wouldn't have had time to cool down, so i decided to just run around the north side of town.

i didn't feel all that great the entire time, but i ran the entire time and didn't stop. the cooler temps - 75 as compared to 89 - helped some. i'd have stopped early again if it had been warmer.

i sure am glad this isn't how i felt at my race saturday. i'd have been really mad!

No comments: