Monday, August 16, 2010

sort of out and back

i left my driveway at 5:30 this morning, my brain barely functioning. i think my legs were still in bed. i think i was five or six miles down the road before they got up and came to my aid.

i started out with a plan to ride to mayfield and back. i need about 25 miles each day at the beginning of the week to make sure that i can get in at least 100 miles before my weekend away with my wife. i haven't had a week under 100 miles all year and i don't want this one to be the first.

i got to mayfield and i'd only been riding about 50 minutes, so i decided to ride out toward anson road and turn around when i got to an hour. that would still get me back in time to clean up and get to work.

i got to anson road too early, so i turned north and rode a mile up the road. i turned around there and headed back home. (31.62 miles @ 16.3mph)

when i got to milan road, i decided i had time enough to take a side trip into milan and still make it home. i rode south toward the "city" limits. just before i crossed the railroad tracks, i heard a train coming. i looked and saw it was at least a three-quarters of a mile away, so i rode over the tracks and into town.

at the stop sign, i noticed a dog behind a fence barking wildly. i looked and he was not looking at me. i turned my eyes in the direction he was pointing and there, in the middle of the street was a huge white dog. he was taller than my bike! i tried to ride past him, but he wanted to play. worried that he might dart in front of me, i stopped. he came up to me, sniffed my hand and licked me.

after a bit, i clipped back in and pedaled a few more feet before turning around. the dog followed me for a bit, but gave up the chase pretty quickly.

after that, i rode directly home without further incident. an interesting, fairly easy morning. more miles tomorrow.

No comments: