Wednesday, February 2, 2011

3.27 miles in 28:47

connect.garmin.com/activity/66395027

i took my wife into wellington for her haircut and met up with Bryan J. and Jeffrey B. for a run around town. i wasn't sure what was planned, but if figured 30-45 minutes would be enough time outside. my partners seemed to agree. we met at the memorial coliseum fitness center and, from there, took off to run the fall fest 5K route. the plus on the end of the workout title represents the extra blocks we ran to get on course.

bryan had a little surprise when i showed up. he had an extra pair of yak trax for me. i stepped into the entryway at the coliseum and pulled them on. they helped a great deal on the hardpack and ice. they felt a little odd on the dry surfaces.

we started out at a pretty good pace for me - slow for bryan i'm sure. we ran down an alley to the southern edge of the 5K route and then turned east. almost immediately we dropped down a hill and then had a steady climb up. it's not much of a hill by most state's standards, but much longer than anything i have to deal with in argonia. my heart rate got up there as we progressed higher and higher. we did some looping around after than and then ended up running down the same hill on a different street. going down was great. going up, not so much so. my max heartrate was recorded at the top of the hill as we turned north again.

we went north and then west before turning south again a block short of highway 81. we had one more little downhill and a short uphill and the rest of the course was flat. we ran all the way around and ended up back at bryan's car.

we all stopped our garmins and talked for a bit. the best part was figuring out that jeffrey was the younger runner that passed me toward the end of my first 5K back in september. when he ran passed, i asked, "how old are you?" he said something younger than me and i said, "keep on going. you're not in my age group." not sure what i would've done if he'd been in my group. i had nothing left at that point.

when we were all talked out, bryan took me to wal-mart where i met up with my newly beautified wife. we shopped for a bit and then headed for home.

No comments: