Friday, February 25, 2011

Fill in the blank...

As I was working on my sermon today, I was reminded of a funny story. Fifteen or twenty years ago give or take a year or two, I was preaching on Jesus' prayer in John 17. I talked about how Jesus prayed for his disciples and then prayed for those who would believe through their witness. To make the message personal, I decided I would speak directly to some of those who were there that day, saying, "Mark, Jesus is praying for you!" or "Rachel, Jesus is praying for you!" It sounded great on paper. In practice it turned out to be a humorous disaster of sorts. I was preaching up a storm, encouraging specific people and then it happened. As I was turning my head, I thought of Bob and said, "Bob, Jesus is praying for you!" My eyes hit Bob. Bob was asleep. I'm sorry, but I laughed. Out loud! Bob's wife elbowed him. He woke up. I smiled and said, "I guess Bob was praying!" and went on. Made me chuckle to remember it today.

No comments: